Court Records

How to Obtain a Marriage Record

How can I get a copy of a marriage record?

In Pennsylvania, the Clerk of the Orphans' Court of each county is responsible for maintaining the records of all marriages in the county where the marriage license was issued.

In Allegheny County, there are two (2) ways to obtain a marriage record:

  1.  Search and/or order marriage record(s) using the World Wide Web Icon Online Marriage License Search and/or Order website.  An email address and credit or debit card are required.
    • If your marriage license was issued in Allegheny County on January 1, 1996 or later, you can search and/or order your marriage record online.  NOTE:  Marriage record fees are applicable (refer to fees/costs listed below).
    • If your marriage license was issued in Allegheny County prior to January 1, 1996, you can order a marriage record online.  NOTE:  There is a search fee, even if the marriage record search is unsuccessful (refer to fees/costs listed below).
  2. Come into our office at the Marriage Records Department. 

    Department of Court Records,
    Wills/Orphans' Court Division
    Marriage License Bureau
    414 Grant Street
    1st Floor, City-County Building
    Pittsburgh, PA 15219

All requests must provide the husband's or wife's complete name at the time of their marriage application and the year of their marriage, as well as the appropriate fee.

Upon receipt of a request, the Marriage Records section will immediately conduct a search and prepare the marriage record requested. It is important to remember that a marriage record is maintained in the county where the marriage license was issued.

Why would I need a copy of a marriage record?

There are a variety of reasons why an individual may need a copy of a marriage record. For example, the Social Security Administration requires a "triple seal" marriage record in order to complete a woman's name change.

Other reasons why you may need a copy of a Marriage Record include collecting Social Security or pension benefits; for mortgage, adoption or passport purposes and any other situation where proof of marriage is required.

It is recommended that before requesting a marriage record, first determine the type of record which is appropriate for your needs.

What type of marriage records are available?

There are two (2) types of marriage records available.  The 1st is a plain copy of the marriage record which is used for personal and historical use only and NOT for official use.  The 2nd type of marriage record is referred to as a “Triple-Seal” copy which can be used for any legal matter in or out of state.

What type of information is contained on a marriage record?

Over the years, the information required on a marriage application has changed. Traditionally, each applicant's full name, age, residence, occupation and place of birth are contained on marriage license applications. In addition, beginning in 1915, the name of each applicant's parents as well as their occupations and places of birth are a part of each application.

The Allegheny County Department of Court Records, Wills/Orphans' Court Division, Marriage Records section maintains all marriage records for licenses issued in Allegheny County from 1885 to the present. All of these records are open to the public and available for viewing.

What are the costs for a marriage record?

The costs for a marriage record vary from county to county. Allegheny County charges are as follows:

Marriage Record Search & Triple Seal
(With proper military identification, walk-ins are entitled to two (2) free triple-seals.)
Plain (non-certified) $ 4.00
Search Fee (Unsuccessful Search) $ 4.00

Duplicate marriage licenses:

The Allegheny County Marriage License Bureau offers certified marriage certificates that can be used in place of a lost marriage license. The particulars of a couple's wedding date are included on an attractive certificate that can be framed, placed in a scrapbook or given as a commemorative gift to couples celebrating a special wedding anniversary.

Office hours:

The Marriage Record section is open, exclusive of Holidays, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.


Applicants who have questions concerning any of this material may contact the Marriage Records section at (412) 350-4232.