Administrative Services

State Benefits

The following are provided by the Microsoft Internet Explorer Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. The Allegheny County Department of Veterans Services renders assistance in applying for the benefits. More information and detailed explanation on the benefits can be obtained from the Adjutant General for the Microsoft Internet Explorer Pennsylvania Bureau for Veterans Affairs.

Emergency Assistance 
The spouse of a recently deceased wartime veteran may be eligible for Emergency Assistance, due to the loss of any income, pension or Social Security the veteran may have been receiving, provided the claim is applied for within 180 days from the date of death of the veteran. Copies of Marriage License and Death Certificate must accompany the application.

Veterans Emergency Assistance
Provides aid for food, clothing, shelter on a temporary basis (not to exceed three months). Based on household income. Must be Honorably Discharged Wartime Veteran not in receipt of Public Assistance (Welfare).

Real Property Tax Exemption
Honorably Discharged Wartime Veterans having a 100 Service-Connected Disability can be exempt from payment of Real Property Taxes on their principle residence. Based on financial need.

Widow's Real Property Tax Exemption
Widows of Honorably Discharged Wartime Veterans who died of a Service-Connected Disability (if the veteran would have been eligible for the exemption)  may also be eligible for Real Property Tax Exemption on their principle residence. Based on financial need.

Educational Gratuity
Children of Honorably Discharged Wartime Veterans who are totally disabled from a Service-Connected Disability, may receive an Educational Gratuity while attending any state or state-aided college or other secondary institution. Financial need must be shown and the student must be between the ages of 16 and 21.

Blind Veterans Pension
$150.00 per month for any Service-Connected Disease or Injury incurred while on active duty, which resulted in blindness or visual impairment of 3/60, 10/200 or less normal vision. Veterans must have given Pennsylvania as the place of residence at the time entering service.

Paralyzed Veterans Pension
$150.00 per month for any veteran Service-Connected Disease or Injury resulting in the loss or loss of the use of two or more extremities during wartime or as a result of hostilities during Combat-Related Action peace time. Must have given Pennsylvania as the place of residence at the time entering service and currently reside in Pennsylvania.

Microsoft Internet Explorer State Veterans Homes
The Commonwealth maintains veterans homes in the following areas:

Delaware Valley State Veterans Home
Philadelphia, PA

Holidaysburg Veterans Home
Holidaysburg, PA (Altoona, Area)

Gino J Merli Northeastern State Veterans Home
Scranton/Wilkesbarre, PA

Pennsylvania State Veterans Home
Erie, PA

Southeastern Pennsylvania Veterans Center
Spring City, PA

Southwest Veterans Center - State Veterans' Homes
7060 Highland Drive,
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Phone (412) 665-6706

Birth and Death Records
Certified copies of birth and death records are issued without cost to veterans and their dependents by the Division of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 1528, 101 South Mercer Street, New Castle, PA.

Disabled Veterans Vehicle Registration
Totally Disabled, Service-Connected Veterans are not charged a fee for Titling and Registration of a motor vehicle. Only one vehicle shall be registered for a veteran. Based on Wartime Service. A $7.50 processing fee shall be charged for wartime veterans who lost a limb or eye or who became partially paralyzed as a result of such service. All other Non-Totally Disabled Veterans having Service-Connected Disabilities pay the regular $36.00 registration fee. The disabled veteran license plate is not the same as the handicapped plate.

Parking Placard
No fee is charged to Totally Disabled Veterans, having a Service-Connected Disability, for the disabled veteran parking placard. Vehicles having a properly displayed placard qualify for parking in areas designated to use for Handicapped Persons.