Workforce Development & Education
This initiative is for vulnerable/at-risk populations and targets four areas:
Education and Employment Training
- 350 unemployed, under-employed or low-wage earners in Allegheny County who do not qualify for support under current employment and training programs and who meet CSBG eligibility will receive services, which include education, employment training, job readiness, and computer literacy classes.
- 290 people who receive education and employment training or supported work experience will receive assistance with transportation expenses in the form of bus passes and/or gas cards.
Service Coordination for Self-Sufficiency
- 200 families/households in Allegheny County who meet CSBG eligibility and are struggling with economic self-sufficiency issues due to impact of the recession or due to low-income will be provided with service coordination to assist them in becoming more self-sufficient. Linkages with education and employment training, financial literacy training, and other services will be a key component of Service Coordination for Self-Sufficiency.
- 30 people who are enrolled in the EARN (welfare to work) program will be provided with specialized services utilizing an Occupational Therapy service model to obtain greater self-sufficiency and obtain and retain their employment.
Financial Literacy Services
- 300 people from low-income communities in Allegheny County who meet CSBG eligibility will be provided with individual and group-based financial literacy services that will provide both short-term and long-term benefits in improved management of financial resources and improved access to resources.
Services for Immigrants and Refugees
- 200 people who are immigrants or refugees who have settled in Allegheny County who meet CSBG eligibility and who need assistance with integration in the community will receive assistance with English language training, financial literacy training, placement in education and employment training, job placement assistance, supported work experience, and other support services.