Basic Recruit Training
Basic Requirements for Police Applicants
It is strongly recommended that you file your application at least 8 weeks prior to the start of the Recruit Class to ensure time for testing, meeting all the requirements, and purchasing and having all of your uniforms and equipment in time for the first day of class.
Police Recruit Applicants MUST meet ALL of the following requirements, as mandated by the Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission (M.P.O.E.T.C.) and the Allegheny County Police Training Academy.
Prior to Acceptance:
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalency and produce an official transcript
- Pass a basic physical exam, including a drug test urinalysis, performed by your doctor, certified nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant
- Successfully complete a physical abilities test, in the 30th percentile, based on age and gender
- Have a valid Pennsylvania driver's license, as verified by PENNDOT
- Have NO criminal convictions for misdemeanor 2 or higher offenses, as verified by PA State Police check
- Pass a Minnesota Multi-phasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), conducted by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist and complete the Nelson-Denny Reading Exam
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $50.00, in the form of a certified check or money order made payable to 'Treasurer of Allegheny County' (this becomes part of your tuition)
On or before the first day of class:
Pay tuition in full, in the form of a cashier's check or money order. Purchase sufficient uniforms, tie, shoes, PT gear, padlock, etc. as specified by the Academy
- Successfully complete 22 exams, covering 18 modules of training, with a minimum score of 75% (MPOETC requires dismissal from the Academy upon second failure; One failure must be made up at a later date.
Physical Ability Testing
Approximately 4 to 6 weeks prior to the first day of class you will be scheduled for a physical ability test and interview, at the Academy. You must bring your $50.00 application fee(certified check or money order) and you will be given several forms, which require prompt attention. To insure that you arrive in uniform on the first day of class it is strongly recommended you place your clothing order soon after your interview.
Tuition, fees, expenses, other requirements & information:
- Tuition, effective January 1, 2013, is $4,047.00 and is due the first day of class.
- Applicant is responsible for the following:
- $10.00 to PENNDOT license verification
- $10.00 to the PA State Police for criminal history check
- Your doctor's fee for physical exam
- Psychologist fee for MMPI
- Any fee to obtain HS transcript
- Provide a padlock for your locker
- Uniforms cadets are required to purchase, wear and maintain a specific uniform (minimum 2 sets of shirts and trousers). There will be regular as well as unannounced inspections.
- M.P.O.E.T.C. requires 100% attendance and the Academy requires prompt arrival for morning roll call. Classes are Monday through Friday 7:25 am to 4:00 pm.
- You will receive, and sign for, a handbook of rules and regulations and will be expected to abide by them.
The following will be provided as part of your tuition:
- Required books, notebook and paper
- Use of a Glock model 22 semi-automatic pistol and adequate rounds of ammunition
- Use of police vehicles for patrol procedures and defensive driving classes
- Over 800 hours of quality Act 120 training presented by dedicated staff and many volunteer instructors
Completion of application requirements does NOT guarantee acceptance into the program.