What is the Parks Action Plan?
The Allegheny County Parks Action Plan was unveiled on September 27, 2007. The plan is a result of the Revenue Sources Management Study of the Allegheny County Park System study conducted by the American Institute for Leisure Resources.
Key components of the plan include:
- The creation of the Parks Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, to raise private funds for the regional parks.
- The establishment of public / private partnerships to operate some of the parks' major amenities and attractions.
The plan also promotes public / private partnerships such as:
- Requests for Proposal (RFP) will be issued for reuse of the:
- North Park Boathouse
- Hartwood Stables
- South Park Fairgrounds
- Boyce Park Four Seasons Activity Center including the skiing and tubing area
- Private operators will be sought for the tennis courts in Boyce Park, North Park, Settler's Cabin Park and South Park.
- The services of the National Golf Foundation in Jupiter, Florida, will be used to review the County's golf course operations in North and South Park.
- A 452-acre parcel in Settler's Cabin Park will be used by the Horticultural Society to operate a Botanic Garden of Western Pennsylvania.