The Office of the Public Defender provides legal counsel in the following matters:
- Where a person is charged with juvenile delinquency;
- Critical pretrial identification procedures;
- Preliminary hearings;
- State habeas corpus proceedings;
- State trials, including pretrial and post- trial motions;
- Superior Court appeals;
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court appeals;
- Post conviction hearings at the trial and appellate levels;
- Criminal extradition proceedings;
- Probation and parole violation hearings;
- Involuntary commitment under the Mental Health Procedures Act;
- Any proceeding where personal liberty is in jeopardy.
The Office of the Public Defender does not provide service in the following matters:
- Family Division matters such as divorce, child custody, support, initial PFA proceedings or termination of parental rights;
- Traffic citations, unless there is a mandatory sentence;
- Landlord -tenant matters;
- Dependency proceedings involving the Office of Children, Youth and Families.
For help concerning these matters, please contact the Allegheny County Bar Association.