2012-06-15


Fitzgerald Submits Legislation & Appointment to Council

PITTSBURGH – County Executive Rich Fitzgerald today submitted several items of legislation and one nomination for appointment to County Council for consideration.

Three pieces of legislation have been submitted to Council:

  • A Grants and Special Account Amendment to provide for a $228,503 grant for the Medial Assistance Transportation Program (Department of Human Services) and a $10,000 grant for the Sheriff’s Office K-9 Program (Sheriff’s Office)
  • Authorization of a Tax Increment Financing Plan for the Gardens at Market Square to construct public infrastructure and other necessary public improvements related to the redevelopment of an area adjacent to Market Square located at 218-240 Forbes Avenue; the project will consist of a new 18-story mixed-use development including office, retail and hotel, as well as a parking garage and other public space improvements on Wood Street, Forbes Avenue and Fourth Avenue
  • Authorization to investigate an amendment to the Potato Garden Run TIF Plan to pay for portions of the Westport Woods development to be located in Findlay Township; the development includes 100 acres on which business and industrial flex space is planned with the TIF used to fund environmental remediation, road construction and the construction of new water, sewer and storm water infrastructure
  • Authorization to investigate a TIF Plan to pay for portions of the Route 30 Commerce Park to be located in Findlay Township; the development potential includes 330,000 square feet of flex space (30% office/70% warehouse and storage) with the TIF used to fund a portion of the costs association with environmental remediation, road and streetscape construction, greenspace and the construction of new water, sewer and storm water infrastructure
  • Authorization to investigate a TIF to pay for portions of the McClaren Road Project to be located in Findlay Township; the development of 410,000 square feet of new commercial space with the TIF used to fund a portion of the costs associated with environmental remediation, road and streetscape construction, greenspace and the construction of new water, sewer and storm water infrastructure
  • Authorization to investigate a TIF to pay for portions of the Clinton Commerce Park Phase II to be located in Findlay Township; the development 1.1 million square feet of new industrial space covering five sites with the TIF used to fund a portion of the costs associated with environmental remediation, road and streetscape construction, greenspace and the construction of new water, sewer and storm water infrastructure
  • Ordinance authorizing the refinancing of existing debt to reduce total debt service
  • Ordinance to authorize the Department of Parks to enter into a grant agreement and accept funds on behalf of the TreeVitalize Pittsburgh from the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources; 90% of the funds will be allotted to the Western PA Conservancy to manage the program which provides local governments with financial and technical tools to protect trees and train volunteers in proper tree care techniques – the remaining 10% will remain with the county for administrative overhead

Additionally, the Executive has nominated Jennifer M. Liptak as Acting County Manager beginning June 30, 2012. James M. Flynn, Jr., the current county manager, will be leaving the County for another position effective June 29, 2012.

# # #