|Contact:||Doug Aiken, Public Works|
PITTSBURGH – The Allegheny County Department of Public Works today announced the closure of First Street at Greensburg Pike in North Versailles Twp. at 7:00 a.m. on Monday, March 12. Traffic on Greensburg Pike will not be affected by this closure. Motorists will follow a posted three-mile detour.
For traffic on Greensburg Pike traveling to First Street:
- Travel south on Greensburg Pike for approximately 1.25 miles
- Turn right onto Warren Drive and continue for 0.2 mile
- Turn left onto Lincoln Highway east (U.S. Route 30) and continue for 0.1 mile
- Turn right onto Navy-Marines Corps Way (S.R. 2068) and continue for 0.2 mile
- Turn right onto East Pittsburgh-McKeesport Avenue and continue for 1 mile
- Turn right onto Versailles Avenue and continue to the intersection of First Street
Traffic on First Street traveling to Greensburg Pike will follow the same detour in reverse.
The closure is necessary for construction of the new Greensburg Pike Bridge, which spans Turtle Creek between North Versailles Twp. and Turtle Creek Borough. The project includes constructing a new four-span, 663-foot steel girder bridge just downstream of the existing bridge, moving utilities, tying existing roadways into the new bridge, and demolishing the old seven-span steel truss structure. The opening is scheduled for late fall 2013.
The construction contract was awarded to Brayman Construction of Saxonburg, Pa., who was the low bidder at $16.2 million.
For additional information, contact Construction Engineering Manager Doug Aiken at 412-350-2517.
# # #