Administrative Assistant to the Medical Examiner
Under the supervision of the Medical Examiner and Manger of Adminstration, the Administrative Assistant will provide secretarial services to the physicians and supervise all aspects of secretarial services within the Allegheny Office of the Medical Examiner.
This position is responsible for preparing autopsy protocols, purchase orders, vouchers, work orders, letters, logs, requests and other documents, releasing microscopic slides and photographs, billing, filing, dictation, overseeing and distributing office supplies, answering telephones, sorting and distribution of mail, photocopying, scheduling physicians appointments and providing secretarial services to the medical staff. In addition, the Administrative Assistant to the Medical Examiner will oversee and schedule the medical secretary staff.
Training and Experience
A minimum of two (2) years college or its equivalent, the ability to type a minimum of eighty (80) words per minute, computer literacy with familiarity of Microsoft Office, a thorough understanding of medical terminology, transcription and procedures and a basic understanding of accounting principles and business format is required for this position. Five (5) years previous experience in a related field is also required.
- Preparing autopsy protocols.
- Maintaining logs and records.
- Preparing purchase orders, vouchers, billing and requests.
- Releasing photographs and microscopic sides.
- Accounts receivable/payable.
- Secretarial duties for physicians and administrative staff.
- Answering telephones and recording messages.
- Filing and retrieving records.
- Docket transcripts.
- Back-up counter service.
- Maintaining office supplies/distribution of supplies.
- Relieve receptionist when necessary.
- Scheduling of secretarial staff.
- Supervising secretarial staff.
- Providing secretarial services to medical staff.
The above statements reflect a general description of this position and are not intended to be an all inclusive list of tasks or responsibilities which an employee may be assigned.
In house testing of the candidates abilities may be required prior to any employment offer.