Forensic Evidence Specialist
Under limited supervision, provide a variety of support tasks in the Office of the Meidcal Examiner. This includes but is not limited to: receiving evidence from law enforcement agencies; inspecting evidence for proper labeling, sealing, and packaging; documenting evidence received in to the Laboratory Information Management System; transferring evidence to Forensic Scientists for analysis; and storage and returning of evidence upon completion of analysis.
Training and Experience
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent GED.
- Appropriate skills for the position.
- Safeguards and maintains the integrity of all evidence and chain of custody in accordance with applicable laws.
- Maintains organization and general cleanliness of evidence and file storage areas
- Coordinates activity between submitting agencies and the Laboratory in the handling of evidence.
- Acts as an interface between the Laboratory, submitting agencies and District Attorney’s Office.
- Provides administrative support functions to assist the Director, Laboratory Managers and Laboratory Staff.
- Appears in court to testify as to the procedures followed during receipt, storage, and transfer of evidence throughout the Laboratory.
- Conducts inventories of all evidence and supervises the release, destruction and subsequent paperwork of same.
- Archives, maintains, stores and organizes case folders.
The above statements reflect a general description of this position and are not intended to be an all inclusive list of tasks which an employee may be assigned.