Chief Forensic Pathologist
Under the supervision of the Medical Examiner, the Chief Forensic Pathologist is the physician responsible for determining cause and manner of death in cases that fall under the Medical Examiner’s jurisdiction, performing post mortem examinations and testifying in court proceedings.
This is the management position responsible for overseeing all aspects of autopsy services, performing autopsies, evaluation of microscopic materials, examination of evidence, photographs and medical records, preparation of written autopsy protocols and preparation for courtroom testimony. Occasional scene visits and investigation may be required. Additionally, this position would be responsible for the development and presentation of lectures and papers. This position may require being on call twenty-four hours (24) per day, seven (7) days per week. In addition, the Chief Forensic Pathologist is responsible for scheduling pathology coverage and overseeing all pathologists and autopsy room personnel.
Training and Experience
Board certification in Anatomical and Forensic Pathology through the American Board of Pathology, research experience in Forensic Pathology, teaching experience, seven (7) or more years recent experience in a Medical Examiners/Coroner’s office, and current licensure or eligibility for licensure to practice medicine in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Computer literacy with a thorough understanding of Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft PowerPoint and Word is also required.
- Conducting forensic post mortem examinations.
- Examination and interpretation of microscopic slides, medical records/reports, investigative reports and evidence.
- Preparation of autopsy reports and forms.
- Development and presentation of educational lectures.
- Participation in community groups.
- Preparation and testifying in courtroom proceedings.
- Scene visits.
- On call time
- Telephone/personal contact with families of decedents, police officers, prosecuting and defense attorneys.
- Scheduling pathology coverage.
- Overseeing all aspects of autopsy services
The above statements reflect a general description of this position and are not intended to be an all inclusive list of tasks which an employee may be assigned.
In house testing of the candidates abilities may be required prior to any employment offer.