Job Announcement Description
||Scientist (Serology/DNA Analyst)
||Medical Examiners Office/Forensic Lab Division
||$3,376.22-$5,643.96 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
A bachelors degree in a natural, physical or forensic science, OR a bachelors degree from an accredited four-year college and an advanced academic degree in the aforementioned sciences. Successful completion of college level coursework in biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology also is required. A court-qualified DNA Analyst preferred.
A college or post-secondary transcript also is required.
A current PA drivers license is required upon appointment.
Under the direct supervision of the Serology/DNA Manager or Supervisor, the work of the analyst will involve the scientific examination, testing and analysis of physiological evidence collected in connection with criminal investigations. The analyst will collect, examine and analyze evidence by employing scientifically validated forensic DNA, chemical, biological and serological testing methods. The analyst also will evaluate analysis results and prepare a written opinion concerning the identification and comparability of blood and other body fluids, and testify as an expert witness in a court of law.
- Accurately conducts forensic analysis/examination using forensically validated methods and reports results;
- Maintains complete documentation of examination/analysis conducted;
- Writes technical reports and opinions entailing the results from examinations/analyses conducted;
- Maintains strict chain of custody and preserves the integrity of evidence in all cases;
- Appears in court, rendering expert testimony regarding scientifically valid procedures, results, and conclusions;
- Participates in training technical staff as needed;
- Participates in a proficiency testing program;
- Participates in implementing and maintaining the quality assurance and quality control program, as well as laboratory safety, ensuring the integrity of analytical testing and results;
- Maintains and performs minor repairs on equipment;
- Participates in continuing education and training programs;
- Develops and implements new analytical procedures;
- Conducts peer/technical and administrative reviews of Serology/DNA reports to ensure conformance to approved standards and the adequacy of the results for forensic purposes;
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Physical and biological collection, examination, and analysis
- Laboratory safety procedures
- Quality assurance and quality control
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Participate in an intensive training program in order to develop competence in prescribed laboratory procedures and techniques
- Maintain competency through performance evaluation and proficiency testing
- Approach problem solving in a logical, unbiased, and methodical manner
- Manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Analyze and interpret data and develop sound conclusions
- Analyze and solve technical problems
- Work well in a team, and independently
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D