Job Announcement Description
||Medical Examiners Office/Forensic Lab Division
||$2,985.23 per month minimum
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
A bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, analytical chemistry, biology, physics, or a related degree OR a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college AND an advanced academic degree in the aforementioned sciences. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Original college transcript(s) required at time of application.
A current driver’s license is required upon appointment.
NOTE: The successful candidate will demonstrate a working knowledge of instrumentation methods.
Under the supervision and guidance of a Scientist 3 or 4, the Scientist is an entry level position with the Forensic Science Laboratory. This position performs scientific analysis of physical and/or biological evidence from a post-mortem case, a crime scene, victim and/or suspects within an area of the Forensic Laboratory Division (Forensic Chemistry, Trace Evidence, Forensic Serology/DNA, Forensic Toxicology, or Firearms). The incumbent develops competency in the analysis, comparison, and evaluation of a variety of physical and biological evidence such as blood, physiological fluids, hairs, fibers, fingerprints, cosmetics, glass, paints, explosive residue, arson residue, metals, soils, firearms, toolmarks, gunshot residue, serial number restoration, drugs of abuse, and other items of forensic interest. This position also testifies in court as to the results obtained, interpretation of the results, and chain-of-custody of evidence.
- Accepts evidence and assumes chain-of-custody for evidence being submitted to the Forensic Science Laboratory or to a section of the laboratory.
- Analyzes and compares a wide variety of physical and/or biological evidence in the Forensic Science Laboratory.
- Maintains a record of laboratory casework.
- Reviews laboratory and casework data.
- Prepares laboratory and casework reports.
- Participates in quality team efforts to advance laboratory technology.
- Testifies in court on methods, results, and interpretation of tests performed.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Physical and biological analysis, comparison, and evaluation
- Laboratory safety procedures
- Quality assurance and quality control
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Participate in an intensive training program in order to develop competence in prescribed laboratory procedures and techniques
- Maintain competency through performance evaluation and proficiency testing
- Approach problem solving in a logical, unbiased, and methodical manner
- Manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Analyze and interpret data and develop sound conclusions
- Analyze and solve technical problems
- Work well in a team, and independently
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D