Job Announcement Description
||$17.66 per hour
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
High school diploma or its equivalent AND one (1) year of experience in road/bridge construction work, parks maintenance landscaping, and/or trades assistance, or experience related to these types of work. An equivalent combination of related education/training and/or experience may be substituted.
Current, valid PA Class C driver's license required prior to appointment. CDL preferred.
It is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass background checks as required for the position.
Allegheny County is the 2nd largest county in Pennsylvania, and home to 130 municipalities, including the City of Pittsburgh. The County owns and maintains 521 Bridges and 378 miles of Roads. It also provides maintenance of the grounds for nine (9) County parks consisting of over twelve (12) thousand acres of park land. The County maintains approximately three (3) million square feet of building space which includes 600,000 square feet of leased space in over 130 buildings throughout the County. The Public Works Department oversees the County’s Capital Projects Program for all roads, bridges, and facilities associated with the Public Works Department and Facilities Management.
- Performs maintenance and makes repairs in various County buildings and grounds (e.g., cuts grass and trims weeds, using lawn mower and weed trimmer; cleans buildings, washes windows, empties trash cans, etc.)
- Performs maintenance and makes repairs to County roads, bridges, etc. (e.g., repairs streets and sidewalks with asphalt, cold patching materials and concrete; shovels snow from walks and drainage ditches; patches highway surfaces; sets up barriers, cleans berms, sets out warning flags, sweeps and cleans roads, bridges and ramps, etc.)
- May operate any of the following equipment (e.g., chain saw, Vac-All, forklift, jackhammer, trash compactor, Zamboni, etc.)
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General maintenance and repair procedures
- Hazards and safety precautions of the work
- Complete assignments on time
- Follow policies and procedures of the Public Works Department
- Work well with others and take direction
- Work a flexible schedule at any County location
- Perform physical labor on a daily basis
Physical Abilities: Walking, driving, standing unaided for extended periods of time (minimum of 3 hours without a break), bending, squatting, grasping, pulling/pushing, kneeling, reaching above shoulder, climbing, lifting up to 80 lbs., maintaining balance on a ladder/roof, seeing, hearing, using both hands, manual dexterity.
Working Conditions: Exposure to weather conditions (may include extreme heat, extreme cold, humidity, rain, snow, ice, dust) and noise (may be constant or intermittent sounds or a high pitch or level sufficient to cause distraction).
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one year of appointment.
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D