Job Announcement Description
||Heavy Equipment Operator
||$23.87 per hour, $4,137.28 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
Completion of an apprenticeship program AND Four (4) years of experience in the operation of heavy equipment OR Six (6) years experience as a Heavy Equipment Operator.
Must show proof of a current, valid C.D.L. License, Class B, prior to appointment.
It is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass background checks as required for the position.
Allegheny County is the 2nd largest county in Pennsylvania, and home to 130 municipalities, including the City of Pittsburgh. The County owns and maintains 521 Bridges and 378 miles of Roads. It also provides maintenance of the grounds for nine (9) County parks consisting of over twelve (12) thousand acres of park land. The County maintains approximately three (3) million square feet of building space which includes 600,000 square feet of leased space in over 130 buildings throughout the County. The Public Works Department oversees the County’s Capital Projects Program for all roads, bridges, and facilities associated with the Public Works Department and Facilities Management.
- Operates a gradall in connection with road construction and maintenance.
- Operates a compressor, generator, pump, and related equipment in connection with construction work.
- Operates all heavy equipment associated with roadwork.
- Coordinates and plans on-site work with job supervisor or foreperson.
- Reports equipment malfunctions to Heavy Equipment Supervisor.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The methods, practices and operations of heavy road construction and maintenance equipment
- The hazards and safety precautions associated with the operations of the equipment
- General earthmoving and roadwork (underground drainage and utility lines)
- Operate equipment such as rubber-tired hi-lifts, track hi-lifts, backhoes, excavators, pavers, road wideners, roller, tow-behind air compressors, road graders, skid-steer hi-lifts, forklifts, generators, high-volume pumps, gradall, snow groomers, etc.
- Stand, walk, sit, use hands, fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, and hear.
- See clearly at twenty feet or more and judge distances and spatial relationships.
- Work under adverse weather conditions.
- Work various shifts.
Residency:Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D