Job Announcement Description
||$19.40 per hour, $3,362.11 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
High school diploma or its equivalent AND Two (2) years of experience driving various commercial vehicles (e.g., pick-up truck, passenger bus, water tanker, tractor trailer, bucket truck, tandem hauling lowboy, etc.) Applicants must have a current, valid, PA Class A Commercial Driver's License, with the (L) airbrake restriction lifted prior to appointment. License also must show the following endorsements: (N) Tanker, (H) Hazardous Materials, and (P) Passenger. A copy of the license must be included with the application.
Allegheny County is the 2nd largest county in Pennsylvania, and home to 130 municipalities, including the City of Pittsburgh. The County owns and maintains 521 Bridges and 378 miles of Roads. It also provides maintenance of the grounds for nine (9) County parks consisting of over twelve (12) thousand acres of park land. The County maintains approximately three (3) million square feet of building space which includes 600,000 square feet of leased space in over 130 buildings throughout the County. The Public Works Department oversees the County’s Capital Projects Program for all roads, bridges, and facilities associated with the Public Works Department and Facilities Management.
- Operates automobiles, heavy trucks and other vehicles (e.g., passenger bus, water tanker, tractor trailer, bucket truck, tandem hauling lowboy, etc.) in transporting persons and materials to and from various County locations.
- Operates snow removal equipment (e.g., spreaders, plows, etc.)
- Delivers supplies, materials and equipment to County offices, facilities and institutions.
- Performs routine inspection of County roadways.
- Services and makes minor repairs to vehicles.
- May perform manual work including loading, unloading and handling of materials.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The traffic laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- The geography of Allegheny County
- The methods used in servicing and making minor repairs and adjustments to vehicles and equipment
- Operate automobiles, heavy trucks and other vehicles safety and efficiently in traffic, at construction and disaster sites and under adverse climatic conditions
- Service and make minor repairs to vehicles
- Perform routine inspection
- Understand and carry out written and oral instructions
- Follow policies and procedures of the Public Works Department
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D