Job Announcement Description
||To Be Determined
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
A high school diploma or equivalent AND ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience related to parks maintenance or parks administration, four (4) years of which shall have been in a supervisory or administrative capacity. A Pennsylvania Pesticide/Herbicide Applicator License is preferred.
A current, valid, PA Driver’s License is required prior to appointment.
Allegheny County is the 2nd largest county in Pennsylvania, and home to 130 municipalities, including the City of Pittsburgh. The County owns and maintains 521 Bridges and 378 miles of Roads. It also provides maintenance of the grounds for nine (9) County parks consisting of over twelve (12) thousand acres of park land. The County maintains approximately three (3) million square feet of building space which includes 600,000 square feet of leased space in over 130 buildings throughout the County. The Public Works Department oversees the County’s Capital Projects Program for all roads, bridges, and facilities associated with the Public Works Department and Facilities Management.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Administration & Operations, this position is responsible for coordinating the overall Maintenance Program for the County Parks system. This position requires close coordination with the Public Works Field Manager, the Parks Director, and the Deputy Director Facilities Maintenance in the Department of Facilities Management. This position provides the parks an overall coordinator to ensure issues are addressed and proper coordination is satisfied across the parks system. This position oversees all nine (9) parks with respect to personnel, equipment, and materials associated with general maintenance of the parks (not including facility maintenance), while ensuring all parks are achieving the utmost productivity. The incumbent coordinates closely with facilities maintenance personnel within the Department of Facilities Management, and other departments as required.
- Oversees the general work of all personnel assigned to the Parks Maintenance within Public Works Parks System.
- Works closely with other divisions and deputy directors, other department administrators and directors to achieve the overall mission of the Department of Public Works and delivers quality general maintenance associated with the County Parks system.
- Assists the Deputy Director of Administration & Operations in setting division policy, developing strategic plans, goals, and objectives for the Division, implementing Department and Division initiatives, and representing Department philosophy.
- Administers Department, County policies and procedures, and other mandated regulations as they apply.
- Responsible for the execution of the operating budgets associated with Parks Maintenance.
- Develops, plans, and implements maintenance programs associated with the Parks and coordinates those efforts across the County Parks System.
- Conducts regular park inspections consisting of driving and viewing each of the nine (9) parks at a minimum of once per week to avert/solve problems, ensure consistency, safety, and quality control among the parks, and to communicate to managers/supervisors and employees the agenda for maintaining a world-class park system.
- Responsible for daily administration of the Parks; which may include paperwork, inspecting and authorizing work orders, supply orders, materials and equipment purchases, and personnel attendance timesheets and requests.
- Works closely with the Public Works Field Manager and the Facilities Maintenance Deputy Director in scheduling and coordinating all normal maintenance functions, specials projects, etc., and following through to completion all maintenance functions.
- Coordinates and ensures that all Parks preparation is accomplished for planned events.
- Provides and coordinates scheduling of personnel and equipment among the Parks as required, including the shared use of equipment, materials/supplies, and vehicles with other divisions or departments.
- Oversees when required all projects associated with the Parks to ensure adherence to project deadlines.
- Reports to superiors park maintenance system and/or individual park productivity and success, as well as the need for service improvement.
- Optimizes the utilization of Parks personnel and the funds budgeted for them, hiring of staff, and all related personnel/labor matters within the Parks.
- Assists in the development of labor contracts and ensures compliance with related labor contracts.
- Supervisory Duties:
- Exercises direct, technical, and functional supervision over professional, technical, and clerical/administrative personnel.
- Evaluates employee work performance, recommending and implementing disciplinary actions and performance improvement measures.
- Manages employees in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
- Fosters a staff that is qualified, motivated and customer oriented, and whose achievements are recognized.
- Assures that adequate training is provided to all Public Works employees so that they possess the latest technology and principles as it relates to their job duties.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principals and practices associated with parks maintenance and/or administration;
- Considerable knowledge of maintenance coordination;
- Fiscal and budgetary procedures and federal and state funding programs.
- Supervise and direct professional, technical and clerical personnel;
- Plan, monitor and evaluate the work of self and others;
- Maintain records and prepare accurate reports;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the public.
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D