Job Announcement Description
||Manager Fleet Services
||$4,573.29 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application. A resume may not be substituted for an application.
An Associate’s Degree in Business Management or related field AND five (5) years experience managing an organization’s fleet operation and maintenance programs, with demonstrated knowledge of vehicle specifications, vehicle maintenance, DOT compliance, reporting, and vehicle licensing. Experience directing the work of union/non-union personnel is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted. A current, valid PA Class C Driver’s License is required prior to appointment.
Applicants who meet the above requirement and who have Fleet Management Certification and/or purchasing/accounting/finance experience are preferred. A valid PA Commercial Driver’s License is desirable.
Reporting to Public Works Deputy Director for Maintenance Operations, this position is responsible for the administration, management and full execution of the Allegheny County Fleet Management Program for all County departments (currently 730 vehicles, 326 pieces of mobile equipment, and 631 gas cards). This includes making strategic decisions regarding additions to, replacement and utilization of the vehicle fleet, directing all aspects of the fleet maintenance and parts contract, including controlling and managing non-contract expenses, managing the South Side garage facility, and all related day-to-day activity. This position is also responsible for a cost efficient and effective fuel program for Allegheny County. The overriding goal is to provide safe, reliable and economical transportation and mobile equipment within budget to meet all Departments’ needs.
- Manages the County’s vehicle and equipment fleet; which includes vehicle replacement, disposal, purchasing, leasing, etc.
- Manages, directs, and oversees the work of contracted vehicle service provider.
- Manages costs associated with vehicle and property damage and oversees insurance recovery and subrogation in liability circumstances.
- Monitors fuel purchases, invoice verifications, and trends; ensures vehicle fuel and parts are economically managed and carefully monitored.
- Assembles, processes, and interprets fleet data including fuel contract disbursements, auto body and maintenance expenses, vehicle leasing expenses, and auction proceeds.
- Prepares license renewals and registration for all County vehicles.
- Prepares vehicle and mobile equipment specifications for the bid process.
- Negotiates contracts with vehicle service providers, fuel service network providers, and vehicle and equipment dealers.
- Manages the vehicle service contract, daily repairs, and preventative maintenance programs.
- Monitors and approves vehicle and equipment repairs.
- Reviews, analyzes, and makes recommendations regarding vehicle and equipment abuse and misuse.
- Manages vehicle leasing arrangements.
- Prepares, coordinates, and directs vehicle and equipment sent to auction to maximize the County’s recovery on aged stock.
- Works with key Department personnel regarding vehicle needs and issues.
- Approves parts purchased by maintenance contractor for heavy equipment, parks and golf courses.
- Provides a high level of customer service to County departments.
- Develops and updates County Fleet policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as directed or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Vehicle specifications
- Fleet maintenance
- PennDOT regulations and licensing
- Calculate quantities, prices, costs, and percentages
- Write, read, and interpret contracts and specifications in English
- Communicate and negotiate effectively both orally and in writing
- Use independent judgment and decision making skills
- Work well with subordinates, management, other County employees and the general public
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D