Job Announcement Description
||Office of the Medical Examiner
||$3,256.10 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
An Associate’s degree in Biological Science, Histology, Chemistry, or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Applicants who meet the above requirement and have knowledge of histology processes, special staining, medical terminology, post mortem examinations, and/or digital photography are preferred.
College transcript(s) required at time of application.
A valid PA Driver’s License is required prior to appointment.
Under the direction of the Manager of Histology/Autopsy and a Supervisor, the position is responsible for supporting all aspects of the Histology Laboratory, independently preparing tissue samples for microscopic examination by a pathologist, and assisting the pathologist in post mortem examinations and documentation.
- Maintains, programs, and operates histology equipment.
- Prepares staining solutions, utilizes staining techniques, and conducts bone decalcifications.
- Grosses, processes, and embeds tissue.
- Maintains detailed computer and hand written records.
- Takes digital photography and x-rays, creates labels, and downloads images.
- Conducts eviscerations.
- Maintains the chain of custody in the collection, maintenance, and transfer of specimens and evidence.
- Prepares remains before and after post mortem examinations.
- Ensures organization and cleanliness of autopsy suite, histology lab, and all instruments and equipment.
- Stocks and supplies autopsy and histology lab.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Quality, safety, and compliance programs
- Applicable laws relating to integrity of evidence and chain of custody
- General office practices and procedures including filing, recordkeeping, and use of fax, copier, PC
- Utilize proficient verbal and written communicative, auditory, and visual skills
- Establish effective working relationships with managers, co-workers, outside agencies, and the District Attorney’s Office
- Pass a background check and drug screen
- Use a personal computer
- Stand for a prolonged period of time and engage in frequent bending, stooping, and reaching
- Lift, pull, and push one hundred (100) pounds
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D