Job Announcement Description
|Department of Human Resources
542 Forbes Avenue, Room 102
Pittsburgh PA 15219
||Jail - Correctional Officer, Part-Time
Please Note: Potential for full-time employment is based on availability
||Allegheny County Bureau of Corrections - Allegheny County Jail
||$14.5772 per hour
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. All applications must be returned in person or by mail to the above address. A resume may not be substituted for an application.
Each completed application must be accompanied by a $20.00 non-refundable test fee. The fee may be waived upon the applicant’s submission of proof of eligibility for public assistance (cash assistance). Payment must be by certified check or money order to “County of Allegheny”. Cash and personal checks will not be accepted.
Candidates will receive a test admission letter in the mail, which will include the date, time, and place of testing.
High school diploma or its equivalent. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and be a U.S. Citizen.
Selection Process: Applicants who meet the above minimum requirements and who submit the required test fee will be invited to participate in the selection process. Please see Correctional Officer - Additional Info for more information regarding each phase of the selection process.
Candidates who pass the written examination must possess a valid driver’s license to continue in the Selection Process.
- Supervises all functions within a housing pod in accordance with the basic rules and principles of direct supervision.
- Coordinates all inmate movement in-house to include utilization of the recreation yard and the visiting booths.
- Enforces rules of conduct, security and work assignments in accordance with appropriate interpersonal communication practices and makes verbal and written reports of significant violation or irregularities to supervisory staff.
- Transports and escorts prisoners and detainees using handcuffs and other appropriate restraints.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods and practices of detention facilities to include individual, group attitudes and behavior of inmates
- Crisis intervention functions to include: counseling; suicide prevention; recognizing abnormal behavior and taking appropriate action
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing; demonstrate communication skills in court and other formal settings
- Run to pursue fleeing inmates; perform rescue operations and other duties which may involve: entering and exiting secured areas; lifting, carrying and dragging heavy objects; climbing up to and down from elevated surfaces; climbing through openings; jumping over obstacles; crawling in confined areas; use necessary physical force to protect oneself or others from harm
- Inspect unclothed inmates, including body cavities, with exposure to body fluids, wastes; possibly encounter deceased persons
- Work all shifts and forced overtime if staff shortages occur
- Use or learn to use a personal computer as an input/output device
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D
All Files are PDFs