Job Announcement Description
||$2,250.00 - $2,500.00 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application. A resume may not be substituted for an application.
High school diploma or its equivalent AND one (1) year of general clerical work experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Applicants who meet the above requirements and who have a college degree are preferred.
Allegheny County is the 2nd largest county in Pennsylvania. The County Parks Department sustains and enhances the growth and quality of a diverse group of well-managed and financially sound regional assets. The large list of diverse facilities and open space in the 12,038 acres contained in our parks system encourages the involvement of people of all ages through park programs, leagues, and volunteering opportunities. The Parks system encompasses a variety of activities and amenities including three wave pools, one swimming pool, ski slopes, snow tubing, two ice rinks, and over 400 rental facilities. The County Parks System strives to be one of the top amenities in the County, by retaining and attracting residents and improving the overall quality of life for our region.
The Allegheny County Parks Secretary serves as the first point of contact for the majority of incoming calls to the Downtown Parks Administration Office. The Secretary will be responsible for assisting residents and employees as trained or directing them to the appropriate party. The incumbent will prepare correspondences to customers, employees, residents, and concessionaires, as well as assist in the processing of all Parks’ seasonal employees. This position will assist the Parks Department with other necessary tasks as designated.
- Issues park permits for various facilities within the Allegheny County Parks.
- Answers telephones and provides information to callers, takes messages, or transfers calls to appropriate individuals.
- Acts as the liaison between parks staff and the administration staff for small scale special events and requests.
- Oversees permit bank deposits and petty cash and produces daily and weekly revenue reports.
- Opens, reads, routes, and distributes incoming inter-department mail and U.S. Mail and prepares answers to routine letters.
- Operates electronic mail systems and coordinates the flow of information both internally and with other organizations.
- Maintains schedules and event calendars and schedules and confirms appointments for customers and supervisors.
- Designs publications including the department newsletter and event schedules.
- Formats databases to be used for mailing lists, etc.
- Processes seasonal employees for work within various park facilities.
- Provides training and orientation to seasonal employees.
- Reviews work done by others to check for correct spelling and grammar. Ensures that County format and policies are followed and recommends revisions.
- Answers questions and concerns of residents on the Parks Website via e-mail.
- Assists with the tracking of attendance.
- Orders and distributes supplies and assists in the management of the storage area.
- Visits park facilities as needed for purposes such as locker revenue collection.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Detail oriented skills for accurate verification and data entry
- Communicate professionally, orally, and in writing
- Work well as part of a team
- Demonstrate reliability and dependability in the workplace
- Operate telephones, computers, typewriters, copiers, fax machines, printers, and calculators
- Learn to operate new office technologies as they are developed and implemented
- Follow written and oral instructions
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D