Job Announcement Description
||$4,782.96 per month maximum
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering and a combination of road design and road construction project management totaling Five (5) years. An Engineer in Training (EIT) Certificate from the Commonwealth of PA, or the ability to obtain an EIT Certificate within one (1) year is also required. Applicants with a Pennsylvania Professional Engineer license are preferred.
A current, valid, PA Driver’s License is required prior to appointment.
Allegheny County is the 2nd largest county in Pennsylvania, and home to 130 municipalities, including the City of Pittsburgh. The County owns and maintains 521 Bridges and 378 miles of Roads. It also provides maintenance of the grounds for nine (9) County parks consisting of over twelve (12) thousand acres of park land. The County maintains approximately three (3) million square feet of building space which includes 600,000 square feet of leased space in over 130 buildings throughout the County. The Public Works Department oversees the County’s Capital Projects Program for all roads, bridges, and facilities associated with the Public Works Department and Facilities Management.
Under the supervision of the Roads Branch Manager, this position is responsible for performing tasks as assigned in engineering, design, and construction management of the Department of Public Works’ new construction, major maintenance and repair of road wall and slide remediation projects whether performed in-house or by contract. The responsibilities of this position are mainly concerned with the development, planning, design, and preparation of engineering and construction plans and specifications, estimates of construction costs, and the drafting of legal documents required for the improvement, construction, and/or repair of the County’s roads, walls, and slide remediation projects, along with other activities as assigned. The Engineer is responsible for assisting in developing project scopes of work and identifying project requirements; reviewing, correcting, and approving designs and plans submitted by consultants; and overseeing the construction process paying close attention to progress, schedule, and changes/problems that develop during construction. The incumbent conducts on-going evaluation of the work and costs associated with the consultants , and assures that various Federal, State and County regulations and contracts are properly enforced. The Engineer may be involved with all aspects of reimbursement agreements, prepares estimates for budgeting as well as tracks funding and pays invoices. The Engineer may perform design as required for in-house projects, but most work will be done by consultants with the engineer overseeing the design process. The engineer will also perform design and construction management, field inspection, and evaluation of road, wall and slide remediation
related issues when required for construction and major maintenance or repair.
- Assists Roads Branch Manager and Deputy Director for Engineering and Construction in the management of road engineering and construction projects whether performed in-house or by consultants from inception through construction completion.
- Directs, oversees, and supervises the design work activities of in-house personnel or consultants.
- Recommends detailed implementation schedules for capital improvement projects and related implementation strategies.
- Examines existing road conditions and recommends solutions to correct deficiencies.
- Responsible for the administration and technical quality of work performed by engineering consultants related to design and road construction.
- Reviews and recommends approval of preliminary and final designs and plans, and ensures any necessary corrections or revisions are made.
- Prepares project scopes of work and estimates costs of construction.
- Drafts legal documents for review and approval of the Law Department, Executive Actions, and Change Orders.
- Reviews consultant’s payment requests for compliance with agreement.
- Supplies information relevant to in-house status review meetings to keep the Director informed of the status of each project.
- Confers with personnel, organizations, and municipal officials on various projects, and coordinates projects with various other outside organizations when required.
- Acts as lead engineer in performing construction management tasks (e.g. answering RFIs, coordination, review of pay contractor requests, conducting quality assurance inspection, etc.) for projects related to roads projects as assigned. May require providing assistance to consultants and contractors.
- Reviews plans and specifications for all projects which involve changes or construction of County owned roads.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principals and practices associated with road design and construction
- Transportation design
- Planning and development
- Roadway safety and design
- Materials of construction
- Rigid and flexible pavement design
- Drainage system design
- Waterway design
- E&S design and environmental regulations
- PennDOT, & ASSHTO design standards and specifications
- Manage complex capital improvement projects
- Complete projects within budget and schedule
- Apply local, state and federal regulatory codes and standards
- Evaluate design and/or construction work
- Maintain records and prepare accurate reports
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies, and other departments.
- Attend evening meetings
- Travel to offsite locations
- Read construction drawings and small print
- Climb, stand, walk, and navigate obstacles at construction sites
- Lift and hold equipment and /or fixtures up to 30 pounds
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
Veterans’ Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D