Job Announcement Description
||$4,583.08 per month maximum
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering AND Three (3) years’ experience in facility design/facility design management AND Three (3) years’ experience in project/construction management. An Engineer in Training Certificate from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or ability to obtain within one (1) year is also required. A Professional Engineer license in Mechanical Engineering from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is preferred.
A current, valid, PA Driver’s License is required prior to appointment. Applications must include examples of projects requiring the candidates’ ability to assess building issues and develop solutions.
Allegheny County is the 2nd largest county in Pennsylvania, and home to 130 municipalities, including the City of Pittsburgh. The County owns and maintains 521 Bridges and 378 miles of Roads. It also provides maintenance of the grounds for nine (9) County parks consisting of over twelve (12) thousand acres of park land. The County maintains approximately three (3) million square feet of building space which includes 600,000 square feet of leased space in over 130 buildings throughout the County. The Public Works Department oversees the County’s Capital Projects Program for all roads, bridges, and facilities associated with the Public Works Department and Facilities Management.
Under the supervision of the Principal Architect, this position is responsible for performing tasks as assigned in engineering, design, and construction management of the Department of Public Works’ new construction, major maintenance and renovation facilities projects whether performed in-house or by contract. The responsibilities of this position are mainly concerned with the development, planning, design and preparation of engineering and construction plans and specifications, estimate of construction costs, and assisting County departments as assigned; and the drafting of legal documents required for the improvement, construction, and/or repair of the County’s facilities. The incumbent conducts on-going evaluation of the work and costs associated with the consultants; assures that the various Federal, State and County regulations and contracts are properly enforced. Additional responsibilities include construction management, field inspection, and evaluation of facility related issues when required for construction and major maintenance or renovation associated with mechanical activities.
- Assists the Principal Architect and the Deputy Director, Engineering in the management of facility engineering and construction projects whether performed in-house or by consultants from inception through construction.
- Directs, oversees, and supervises the design work activities of in-house personnel or consultants.
- Completes task associated with facility mechanical systems and other related systems (i.e. fire protection, security, etc.).
- Recommends detailed implementation schedules and strategies for facility capital improvement projects and related implementation strategies.
- Examines existing facility conditions and recommends proper design or rework to correct deficiencies.
- Responsible for administration and technical quality of work performed by engineering consultants related to design and facility construction.
- Reviews and recommends approval of preliminary and final designs and plans, and ensures any necessary corrections or revisions are made.
- Prepares project scope of work and estimates cost of construction; reviews consultants’ payment requests to assure compliance with agreement(s).
- Drafts legal documents for review and approval of the Law Department, Executive Actions, and Change Orders.
- Supplies information relevant to in-house status review meeting to keep the Director informed of the status of each project.
- Confers with personnel, organizations, and municipal officials on various projects, and coordinates projects with various outside organizations when required.
- Acts as lead engineer in performing construction management tasks (e.g. answering RFIs, coordination, review of pay contractor requests, conducting quality assurance inspection, etc.) for projects related to mechanical and other facility related construction, as assigned.
- Reviews plans and specifications for all projects which involve changes or construction at county owned facilities.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principals and practices associated with facility mechanical systems engineering design and construction;
- Microsoft Office Applications;
- Considerable knowledge of contracts;
- Construction materials and techniques;
- Fiscal and budgetary procedures and funding alternatives.
- Manage complex multi-disciplined capital improvement projects and to complete projects within budget and schedule;
- Apply local, state and federal regulatory codes and standards;
- Evaluate design and/or construction work;
- Maintain records and prepare accurate reports;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the public.
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
Veterans’ Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D