Job Announcement Description
||Manager of Training
||Office of the Public Defender
||$5,250.00 per month maximum
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
J.D. or L.L.B. from an accredited law school AND an existing license to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Candidates must also have one (1) year of experience supervising or designating the work of others.
Applicants who meet the above requirements and have experience in teaching, conducting training, seminars or Continuing Legal Education classes are preferred.
- Provides initial and continuing legal education to all attorneys, law interns, professional staff and administrative staff of the Office of the Public Defender (OPD).
- Facilitates mandatory Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education (CLE) compliance by all OPD attorneys.
- Determines and evaluates attorney and law intern training and scheduling requirements/needs.
- Works closely with the Chief Defender, Chief Deputy Director and all division heads in developing an understanding of current/future training needs and what is more accurately categorized as a systematic or personnel/management issue.
- Develops and presents programs and written materials in a timely, planned fashion consistent with adult learning principles.
- Serves as a training and informational resource for OPD managers, attorneys, interns and staff; provides resource material to enhance awareness and performance.
- Remains up to date on pending/enacted changes in the law and procedure; remains aware of new and relevant publications, videotape presentations, outside training programs and interactive computer programming.
- Stays abreast of forensic developments which impact upon criminal practice; develops effective ways to present and teach these forensic topics to affected defender attorneys and staff.
- Supports the staff as a forensic, pedagogic and ethical resource.
- Fosters and maintains relationships with local law schools and students to cultivate externship and clinical opportunities which will be mutually beneficial to the law schools/students and OPD.
- Trains and supervises law student interns.
- Develops and maintains the Training Library which serves as an office resource for ethics, trial skills and forensics.
- Performs additional duties as needed by the Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure, Rules of Appellate Procedure, Rules of Evidence and other applicable law.
- Allegheny County Criminal Court and Juvenile Court systems
- In-house representation and attorney assignments of OPD
- Current Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education rules, requirements and programs
- Programs necessary to receive and process training materials
- Adult learning processes
- Management/budgeting principles and procedures; principles of supervision; and management of a legal environment.
- PC operations and programs to include: Westlaw, Lexis, Word, Excel, and other related software, such as case management software.
- Excellent communication, organizational and management skills
- Create a physical and emotional environment that fosters continuous learning and development
- Clearly present information and ideas as well as substantive and procedural data
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Responsibly manage attorneys, other professional staff and administrative staff
- Work cooperatively and constructively with staff
- Use Westlaw, Lexis, Word, Excel, and other related software
- Represent the Office of the Public Defender at periodic appearances before civic groups, schools and community events.
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
Veterans’ Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D