Job Announcement Description
||$4,166.66 -- $5,416.66 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
A Master’s Degree in Environmental Science, Public Policy, Business, or a closely related degree AND Five (5) years of work experience in green policies, climate protection initiatives, organizational development, program development, and fundraising. LEED Certification also required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
The Sustainability Manager reports to the Facilities Management Director and Deputy Director, Administration /Operation and is responsible for the coordination and implementation of the County’s Sustainability program, a comprehensive approach to promote sustainable practices within County government and through countywide policies and programs. The goal of this position is not only to reduce the County’s ecological footprint, but also to encourage residents, businesses and municipalities to implement sustainable practices where environmental social equity and economic interests are advanced.
- Works to develop a vision for sustainability for Allegheny County;
- Develops and continually updates a County-wide Climate Action Plan;
- Serves as a liaison between the County and appointed advisory groups to assist the County in setting sustainability goals;
- Secures grants and other assistance from foundations, government agencies, and other organizations;
- Coordinates County participation in regional sustainability initiatives, including Pittsburgh Climate Initiative, Green Workplace Challenge, 2030 Challenge, etc.;
- Represents Allegheny County at various regional events and on Boards as needed, such as Pittsburgh Green Innovators Project and Re-Energize Coalition, Customer Municipal Advisory Committee, Green Infrastructure Network, etc;
- Determines costs, benefits, and savings of potential energy reduction measures to inform decision making;
- Provides consultations to other County departments on sustainability issues;
- Creates a system to track and monitor implemented measures across County departments;
- Partners with existing organizations dedicated to green initiatives and energy conservation;
- Collaborates with other organizations, businesses, and municipalities to encourage, support and facilitate sustainability initiatives;
- Develops public relations strategies to educate the public and stakeholders on Allegheny County’s sustainability initiatives;
- Organizes training and educational seminars for County employees on energy reduction activities.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Developing, promoting, implementing, and coordinating energy conservation programs; monitoring, updating, and advancing climate protection plans;
- System commissioning and building maintenance principles;
- Current federal, state, and local environmental regulations and policies;
- Allegheny County government structure;
- Federal, state, and local agencies and available funding for sustainable practices; local foundations and funding priorities.
- Secure grants and assistance for projects;
- Create and implement appropriate management systems that track and measure sustainability program effects;
- Quickly assess large amounts of information and data; consider and evaluate the relationships between numerous factors;
- Work across disciplines, departments, and programs;
- Think strategically and plan, organize, coordinate, and manage personnel and programs of a large and diversified organization;
- Provide responsible leadership and obtain support for implementation of department objectives, strategies, and goals;
- Communicate clearly and persuasively; be a team member and motivate and educate others;
- Work cooperatively and constructively with administrative and elected officials, peers, and staff;
- Coordinate a countywide effort to develop standards and procedures for the “Allegheny Green” initiative.
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D