Job Announcement Description
||VMWare Infrastructure Administrator
||Administrative Services / Division of Computer Services
||$5,058.92 per month
|How to Apply:
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application. A resume may not be substituted for an application.
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field AND four (4) years of experience in VMWare, Windows Server family. VMWare certification is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Microsoft-MCSE and hardware maintenance/repair certifications are preferred.
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, this position builds, monitors, and maintains the County’s VMWare Server Infrastructure. This position is responsible for recommending computer hardware and software required to support the information system and prepares technical specifications for bidding of equipment and/or software
- Performs system analysis and development to keep the County’s systems current with changing technologies.
- Creates new Virtual Machines and monitors and maintains existing Virtual machines.
- Installs hardware into racks, connectivity of servers to network and into Active Directory, and software onto servers.
- Performs security hardening of servers in accordance with division SOP’s and best practices.
- Troubleshoots and performs root cause analysis on equipment/software and recommends upgrades and adjustments as appropriate.
- Ensures that appropriate server monitoring software is operating on all assigned equipment.
- Ensures that appropriate patching is applied to assigned equipment and the software operating on it.
- Plans use of disk storage on local system or on Storage Area Network.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Storage systems, SANs, NAS, and NFS as related to a Virtual infrastructure
- VMWare and Windows Server operating systems, clients, and Microsoft Back Office Products operating on these servers
- Intel based server hardware, racks , and power control software
- Unix/Linux, Tivoli, Trend Micro Deep Security, and TCP/IP networks
- Project management skills
- Use VMWare ESXi version 5, VMWare Horizon 5, Windows 2012, and Windows 2008
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with end-users and technical peers
- Communicate technical issues effectively with vendors to resolve hardware/software issues
- Seek out solutions independently from multiple resources when problem solving (internet, manuals, staff, etc.)
- Schedule projects and implement and ensure accomplishment of schedules
- Keep abreast of new and emerging technologies
- Make informed decisions
Residency: Must become a resident of Allegheny County within one (1) year of appointment.
Veteran's Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER-M/F/V/D