DHS Home Page
Department of Human Services    Follow DHS on Facebook Follow DHS on Twitter Watch DHS Videos on Vimeo Connect with DHS on LinkedIn

Housing for Persons with a Mental Health Diagnosis

Persons with Special Needs 
Most of the housing programs and services listed below are designed to meet the needs of individuals and families who already, or are eligible to, receive services through DHS.

Persons who are receiving services because of chronic and persistent mental illness or dual diagnosis (mental illness and substance use disorders) may be referred to housing/services programs based on their level of need. A full continuum is available. Unless otherwise noted, referrals must go through the DHS Office of Behavioral Health (OBH) Residential Referral process. Consumers and their families may review the pdf.gif OBH Residential Referral Form to familiarize themselves with the information they will be asked to provide.  The form is generally completed by an individual’s service coordinator or a social worker, if the individual is in the process of leaving the hospital.

  • Long-Term Structured Residence (LTSR)
    Adults who require mental health treatment and supervision 24/7 but do not need in-patient hospitalization can request residence in a licensed LTSR. LTSR offers a highly structured, locked, therapeutic, residential facility. Admission may occur voluntarily or involuntarily. Stays are generally limited to less than 12 months.
  • Community Residential Rehabilitation (CRR)
    Adults with a psychiatric diagnosis may enroll in this transitional program designed help them live as independently as possible in the community. It is not a long-term residency. CRR programs are available in individual apartment and group home settings. Some CRRs provide a group home setting that offers specialized services to individuals with co-occurring substance abuse issues. Stays are generally limited to less than 12 months.
  • Comprehensive Mental Health Personal Care Homes
    Adults with mental illness who typically require assistance with such tasks as dressing, bathing, selecting food, self-administering medication, managing their finances and evacuating their residence in case of an emergency may reside in a MH Personal Care Home. Residents receive a private room and a monthly spending allowance. Residents have a say in the running of the home and can take part in activities and groups if they choose. Stays are open-ended.
  • 24/7 Supportive Housing
    Adults with mental illness who want and are able to live in the community with around-the-clock support may reside in 24/7 Supportive Housing. 24/7 is generally provided in an apartment building where support staff also reside. Stays are open-ended in this unlicensed program
  • Specialized (Small Group) Community Residences (SCR)
    Adults with highly complex needs who function best in a highly structured setting may live in SCRs. Residents and staff ratios of 1:1 are not uncommon. Up to three residents are supervised and supported according to plans developed with input from the resident, service coordinator and community treatment team. Stays are open-ended.
  • Supportive Housing
    Adults with mental illness who want and are able to live in the community with on-call support may take advantage of this safe, decent, affordable and permanent housing. Apartments and homes are scattered throughout the community. Providers have their own referral process for this unlicensed program. Stays are open-ended.
  • Permanent Supportive Housing Program
    Adults who are former residents of Mayview State Hospital or other Allegheny County-funded residential programs for persons with mental illness or dual diagnosis (Mental illness and substance use disorders) are eligible to live in Permanent Supportive Housing. PSH provides affordable housing linked to supportive services that are flexible and optional. PSH is safe, secure and permanent, as long as the consumer pays the rent and follows the rules of his/her lease. This program has no available units at this time. Stays are open-ended.
  • Dom Care (also known as Adult Foster Care)
    Adults who are independently mobile or semi-mobile but cannot live independently may be matched with families who are willing to open their homes and provide a caring, residential environment. Referrals go through the Area Agency on Aging (412-350-5105). Stays are open-ended.
  • CMI Bridge Housing
    Homeless adults who have been diagnosed with, or exhibit symptoms of having, a mental disorder may reside in CMI Bridge Housing. Stays are open-ended in this rehabilitation program. Referrals are made directly to the providers of these services. Stays are open-ended.

Persons with mental health diagnosis may also explore options without the involvement of OBH