Home Alone Frequently Asked Questions
TRENDS: How many “home alone” situations does CYF see?
About 20 cases per month are “home alone” situations.
How many are related to single-parent situations?
Generally, most are single-parent situations.
What are the laws regarding age? Are there other determinations?
There are no laws or regulations in Pennsylvania.
Items to consider:
- Length of time left alone.
- Child’s ability to care for themselves
- Child’s ability to handle emergencies
- Child’s knowledge of emergency phone numbers
- Availability of support back-ups
What does CYF look for when assessing a situation?
- CYF considers the risk presented to the kids by the situation or the behavior of the parent. CYF follows a formal risk assessment procedure and model. The model used locally is the same model used across the state. It is used in both call-in situations and for on-site interviews.
- CYF may utilize previous information and police information to help make a judgment about risk.
What is considered a risk?
More often, there is more than one factor.