Older Adult Health Insurance Counseling
APPRISE 412-661-1438 or APPRISE@fswp.org.
APPRISE offices are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
SeniorLine 412-350-5460, toll-free 1-800-344-4319, TTY 412-350-2727 or SeniorLine@alleghenycounty.us
APPRISE is a free health insurance counseling program designed to help Pennsylvanians, age 60 years and older. APPRISE volunteer counselors are specially trained to answer consumer questions and offer education about Medicare, HMOs, long-term care insurance, supplemental insurance, and Medicaid benefits. APPRISE services are free, objective and completely confidential.
APPRISE counselors are available to assist an individual in the following ways:
- Determine if a Medicare HMO is right for the individual by explaining the way Medicare HMOs work.
- Understand Medicare benefits by explaining what services are covered under Medicare Parts A and B and the Medicare Summary Notice.
- Select a Medigap insurance policy by explaining the benefits in each plan and providing a list of companies that sell these plans.
- Obtain assistance to pay for prescription drugs through government and private programs that offer this service, and explain the eligibility requirements and how to apply.
- Find government programs that will pay Medicare deductibles, co-payments, and Part B premiums and assist consumers with the paperwork.
- Understand long-term care by explaining eligibility requirements for government long-term care programs and explaining private long-term care insurance and how to select the best policy.
APPRISE services are free and all information is kept completely confidential. To contact a counselor, contact the APPRISE coordinator at 412-661-1438 or APPRISE@fswp.org. For general information on this and other services for older adults, you may contact the DHS AAA SeniorLine at 412-350-5460, toll-free 1-800-344-4319, TTY 412-350-2727 or SeniorLine@alleghenycounty.us.
Understanding Medicare and Medigaps, videos
These videos about the APPRISE program, Understanding Medicare and Medigaps, may be helpful.
Pennsylvania Health Law Project (PHLP)
PHLP 1-800-274-3258 works to overcome barriers to accessing health care coverage and services. They provide: