Find the Room in Your Heart – CYF Family Visitation Room Project
When children are removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect, parents and children often have supervised visits with each other at one of the CYF visitation rooms located at the five CYF regional offices. The rooms are also used as waiting rooms before meetings with caseworkers. Keeping these rooms welcoming and well-equipped with appropriate toys and furnishings is an on-going challenge.
The goal of the Family Visitation Rooms committee is to enhance the experience of children and families who use the rooms by recruiting individuals who are committed to the enhancement and upkeep of the rooms.
- Help clean and organize the visitation room(s) on an ongoing basis at one of the CYF regional offices. Tasks involve removing broken toys and incomplete games, and cleaning toys, if necessary.
- Design age-appropriate activities to promote positive parent/child interactions and provide them to the regional office directors.
- Spearhead or assist with fundraising to purchase needed furnishings and replace toys and games as needed. (Make checks payable to: “DHS Donations Fund” and write “visitation rooms” on the memo line).
- Join the Family Visitation Rooms coordinating committee.
If you would like to volunteer, please contact the CYF Family Visitation Room Project through the Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children at email@example.com or 412-421-3889.
All items must be clean and clean-able, have all of their pieces and be in workable condition. Donated items can appeal to children of any age, from infants to teens. See * below for items that cannot be accepted.
- Board games
- Building blocks (plastic preferred)
- Coloring books and paper
- Cars and trucks (Matchbox and larger)
- Dolls/animals/action figures (all hard plastic, no plush materials)
- Magna-doodles or Etch-A-Sketches
- Play kitchens, etc.
- Play tool benches, etc.
- Puzzles (wooden preferred)
Room furnishings (durable)
- Bookshelves and bookcases (colorful)
- Changing tables
- Couches, loveseats or chairs (no plush materials)
- Floor covering (plastic sheets with child-oriented graphics)
- Shelving (free standing and wall-mounted)
- Storage bins
- Table and chair sets (child-sized)
If you would like to donate, please contact the CYF Family Visitation Room Project through the Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-421-3889.
*Items we cannot accept
We recommend that you consider donating any of the following items to the Alliance of Nonprofit Stores. The Alliance is a partnership of nonprofit charitable agencies in Western Pennsylvania that have joined forces to form the first collaborative effort in the history of Pittsburgh’s thrift and resale shops. “Proceeds from your purchases and donations support positive change throughout our communities.” Our children and families still benefit from these generous donations.
- Battery-operated toys of any kind
- Damaged books (i.e. written in, musty odor, water damaged, etc.)
- Items with religious connotations
- Opened toiletries
- Plush dolls of any kind
- Used clothing
- Used luggage
- Used school or office supplies
- Used stuffed animals (Please donate them to an animal shelter.)
About the Family Visitation Room Project
The CYF Family Visitation Room Project started as a partnership of the CYF Advisory Board and the Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children (PAEYC)
Now, the Family Visitation Rooms coordinating committee also includes:
CYF Family Visitation Room Project Flyer