City of Pittsburgh/Allegheny County Task Force on Disabilities
The Advisory Board for the Disability Connection is the City of Pittsburgh/Allegheny County Task Force on Disabilities. In its capacity as the advisory board it works as an advocate for the people with disabilities in Allegheny County by informing and educating the public and government officials and advising The Disability Connection.
The Task Force advises the Mayor and County Executive in matters of policy which impact people with disabilities, promotes the inclusion of people with disabilities in all aspects of community life, promotes the meaningful employment of people with disabilities in settings of their choosing, and advises the Mayor and County Executive of State and Federal issues which impact upon the dignity of lives of people with disabilities in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County.
The Task Force consists of thirteen members. Appointments and terms shall be as follows:
Six members are appointed by the Allegheny County Executive and six members are appointed by the Mayor, City of Pittsburgh. The twelve appointed members will then select a thirteenth member who will serve a four-year term. All members will serve at the pleasure of the Allegheny County Executive and the Mayor, City of Pittsburgh.
Appointments shall be representative of a wide variety of disability groups, with consideration of a county geographic and ethnic balance. Appointees shall have an interest, experience and a demonstrated commitment to issues pertaining to disability and access. Appointments shall be made without regard to color, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, parental or marital status, age, ancestry and/or disability, except that a majority of the members of the Task Force must be individuals with disabilities.
County Executive appointees are appointed for a four-year term of service that corresponds with the four year term of the County Executive. Mayor appointees are appointed for a four-year term of service that corresponds with the four-year term of the Mayor.
A Task Force member position shall be deemed vacant when:
- an appointee who has not yet been confirmed withdraws his/her application;
- a member no longer continues to meet qualifications for appointment during the term of office; or
- a member voluntarily resigns or, for some reason, is no longer able to serve as a member.
The officers of the Task Force are Chairperson, Co-Chairperson, Treasurer, and Board Member At-Large.
- The Chairperson presides at all regular Task Force meetings and Executive Committee meetings, formulates the agenda with input from Members and Staff, serves as the spokesperson for the Task Force, and performs such other duties as required and approved by the Task Force.
- The Co-Chairperson assists the Chair in fulfilling his/her duties and shall serve as Chairperson during the absence of the Chairperson, chairs subcommittees on special subjects as designated by the Task Force and shall serve on the Executive Committee, ensures that all Committee activities adhere to the Task Force Guidelines, and performs such other duties as required and approved by the Task Force.
- The Treasurer reports on Task Force finances and the budget at all meetings, keeps and makes available budget and financial information to the Task Force, and serves on the Executive Committee.
- The Board Member At-Large serves on the Executive Committee of the Task Force and represents other members of the Task Force in Voting at the Executive Committee.
The officers serve terms of two years and are elected by a majority vote of the Task Force at the Annual Meeting.
- Executive Committee
The Task Force maintains an Executive Committee that consists of the Task Force Officers and is chaired by the Chairperson. Executive Committee meetings are open public meetings to which all Task Force members are invited. The Executive Committee meets as needed to facilitate the direction and completion of Task Force business. The Executive Committee has authority to set Task Force agendas and to conduct Task Force business which requires timely action in the intervals between regular meetings.
- Other Subcommittees
The Chairperson has the authority to create any subcommittees that may be deemed helpful to the work of the Task Force and the accomplishment of its purpose. Subcommittees shall cover issues relevant to the mission of the Task Force such as:
- Others as needed
Conflicts of Interest
Task Force members shall disqualify themselves from participation in any discussion and/or vote on any matter in which a board member or his/her family has a financial interest (tangible gain) or a personal interest which would affect independence of judgment or action in the performance of the member's duties.
Task Force Rules, Requirements, and Regulations
- The Task Force shall meet at least four times per year, including an Annual Meeting in June, where officers will be elected and a budget will be adopted. Additional meetings may be scheduled based on a determination by a majority of voting members. The time, hour and place of meetings shall be determined by a consensus of the Task Force. All meetings of the Task Force shall be called, noticed, held and conducted in accordance with the State of Pennsylvania Sunshine Act.
- When deemed expedient, or at the request of the majority of the Task Force, the Task Force Chairperson may call additional meetings to be held at such time and place as stated by the Task Force Chairperson. Additional meetings shall be called, noticed, held and conducted in accordance with the State of Pennsylvania Sunshine Act.
- At any meeting, a quorum shall consist of the Task Force members present as long as either the Chairperson or Co-chairperson is present and presiding.
- The vote on all questions coming before the Task Force shall be by voice vote, raising of hands, or other effective method. The Chairperson of the Task Force shall vote in all cases, when present.
- Upon request by any Task Force member, a vote will be tallied and recorded in the meeting minutes.
Members are expected to attend all regular meetings.