All links are off-site links except where noted.
Green Business Resources
Save Energy at Home and at the Office
- EnergyStar - An excellent starting point for your energy conservation planning and calculations - and learning about the associated available tax credits.
TIP: Watch for the EPA’s new Home Star program coming soon to certify energy-efficient homes beyond the current Energy Star certification.
- Duquesne Light's WATT CHOICES Program helps customers conserve energy and reduce demand while lowering their electricity costs. Watt Choices invites residential, commercial and industrial customers to take advantage of a wide range of energy efficiency, conservation and demand-response measures. By participating in these programs, customers are not only learning ways to conserve energy, they also are reducing their overall impact on the environment through reduced power plant emissions and load reduction.
- Be sure to visit your own electric utility provider’s web site. All electric companies in the Commonwealth must comply with Act 129, which requires them to reduce the electricity demanded. Each company has additional financial incentives in place for its commercial, industrial and residential customers.
For Kids, Students, Educators and Parents
Build a Green Building
Renewable & Alternative Energy
Alternative Forms of Transportation
- SPC - learn what the Southwestern PA Commission has achieved in the areas of Planning & Development and Regional Transportation.
- SPC - view data summaries and videos of traffic improvements resulting from the successful Sinc-Up Program.
- CommuteInfo - learn how you can use alternative forms of transportation - Vanpooling, Carpooling, Biking, and Park-n-Ride. Register with CommuteInfo for multiple benefits.
- Bike PGH - Bike for Recreation. Bike for Health. Bike to Commute and Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
Wet Weather Issues – Storm Water, Salt, etc.
- 3 Rivers Wet Weather - an overview of the wet weather issue and how it impacts you by causing sewage to overflow, visit .
- ALCOSAN - the region’s largest waste water treatment authority is working to reduce overflows, comply with a Consent Decree to improve water quality, and serves 83 communities in the County.
- Rain Garden Alliance - find out how rain gardens can retain stormwater.
- Nine Mile Run - learn more about rain gardens and stormwater conservation.
- Five Ways to Reduce Your Car's Environmental Impact - find out what happens to oil, grease, transmission fluid, and exhaust particles when it rains and what you can do to prevent water pollution.
- Where does the salt go after the snow melts? (By Gateway Engineers)
- Negative Affects of Ice-Melt Chemicals on Trees (By TreeVitalize Pittsburgh) - learn more about the negative effects that ice-melt chemicals can have on trees, how to protect your trees from ice-melt chemicals and the products you can safely use.
Regional Trails Partners
Learn about the terrific network of regional trails that connect our communities, and the plans to emulate the success of the trail to Washington DC (the Great Allegheny Passage) with a trail to Erie, PA.