DHS News August 2011
August 2011 DHS Newsletter
Candidates raise $37,500 for kids at Comedy Night
On Thursday, August 18, the Improv at the Waterfront in Homestead played host to a different kind of crowd. That night, patrons enjoyed laughs compliments of political candidates performing for the 4th annual Candidates’ Comedy Night, an event organized by DHS to benefit the Allegheny County Music Festival Fund (ACMFF).
Altogether, the event raised more than $37,500 for ACMFF. ACMFF funds are used to pay for life-enriching opportunities and items that are not otherwise available through traditional government funding for children and youth receiving services through the Allegheny County Department of Human Services and the Juvenile Probation.
The opening act for the night was a special performance by Aaliyah, a youth who recently participated in the We Rock Workshop, a music workshop made possible through a partnership between DHS and Creative.Life.Support, the non-profit arm of Mr. Smalls Theatre in Millvale.
This year’s featured performer was Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato, and the candidates who performed were:
- Raja, candidate for Allegheny County Executive
- Rich Fitzgerald, candidate for Allegheny County Executive
- Rep. Chelsa Wagner, candidate for Allegheny County Controller
- Judge David Wecht, candidate for Judge of the Superior Court
- Vic Stabile, candidate for Judge of the Superior Court
- Anne Covey, candidate for Judge of the Commonwealth Court
- Kathryn Boockvar, candidate for Judge of the Commonwealth Court
- Alex Bicket, candidate for Judge of the Court of Common Pleas
Gene Collier, writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and professional stand-up comedian, emceed the event and provided plenty of colorful commentary between each candidate’s performance.
While many of the candidates decided to go the traditional stand-up route with their performance, some candidates decided to perform in other entertaining ways. Bicket, accompanied by his son on guitar, sung an Irish pub song, and Boockvar performed a skit with Vincent Quatrini, an attorney and campaign supporter.
More information about Candidates’ Comedy Night
DHS News Newsletter
DHS News Archive